By C. C. Gaither, Alma E. Cavazos-Gaither
To appreciate the background, accomplishments, disasters, and meanings of astronomy calls for a data of what has been acknowledged approximately astronomy by way of philosophers, novelists, playwrights, poets, scientists, and laymen. With this in brain, Astronomically talking: A Dictionary of Quotations on Astronomy and Physics serves as a advisor to what has been acknowledged approximately astronomy in the course of the a while. Containing nearly 1,550 quotations and diverse illustrations, this source is the most important compilation of astronomy and astrophysics quotations released to date.
Devoted to astronomy and the heavily comparable components of arithmetic and physics, this source is helping shape a correct photo of those interconnected disciplines. it really is designed as an reduction for normal readers with little wisdom of astronomy who're drawn to astronomical themes. scholars can use the publication to extend their realizing of the complexity and richness that exists in clinical disciplines. furthermore, skilled scientists will locate it as a convenient resource of charges to be used within the lecture room, in papers, and in displays. a short look through the desk of contents illustrates the diversity of themes mentioned. Readers can fast and simply entry the wit and knowledge of a number of hundred scientists, writers, philosophers, poets, and teachers utilizing the excellent indexes.
Read Online or Download Astronomically Speaking: A Dictionary of Quotations on Astronomy and Physics PDF
Similar astronomy books
Each factor All approximately area offers interesting articles and contours on all elements of house and area trip with excellent images and full-colour illustrations that deliver the fantastic universe round us to lifestyles.
In a startling reinterpretation of the proof, Stillman Drake advances the speculation that Galileo’s condemnation by means of the Inquisition used to be brought on now not by way of his defiance of the Church, yet through the hostility of up to date philosophers. Galileo’s personal fantastically lucid arguments are used to teach how his clinical method—based on a seek no longer for factors yet for laws—was totally divorced from the Aristotelian method of physics.
This ebook seems at solutions to the most important questions in astronomy – the questions of the way the planets, stars, galaxies and the universe have been shaped. over the past decade, a revolution in observational astronomy has produced attainable solutions to 3 of those questions. This e-book describes this revolution.
- A Catholic Modernity?: Charles Taylor's Marianist Award Lecture, with responses by William M. Shea, Rosemary Luling Haughton, George Marsden, and Jean Bethke Elshtain
- A Student's Guide Through the Great Physics Texts, Volume 1: The Heavens and the Earth (Undergraduate Lecture Notes in Physics)
- Astrophysicist and Space Advocate Neil deGrasse Tyson (STEM Trailblazer Bios)
- Instrumentation for Astronomy with Large Optical Telescopes: Proceedings of IAU Colloquium No. 67, Held at Zelenchukskaya, U.S.S.R., 8–10 September, 1981
Extra info for Astronomically Speaking: A Dictionary of Quotations on Astronomy and Physics
5) Chargaff, Erwin Thus, astronomy was probably the first exact science, practiced long before the concept of science as such had been formulated. ) Serious Questions Nature (p. 153) Clerke, Agnes M. [Astronomy] is a science of hairbreadths and fractions of a second. It exists only by the rigid enforcement of arduous accuracy and unwearying diligence. Whatever secrets the universe still has in store for man will only be communicated on these terms. A Popular History of Astronomy during the Nineteenth Century Part I Chapter VI (p.
They rippled green with a wondrous sheen, they fluttered out like a fan; They spread with a blaze of rose-pink rays never yet seen of man. Collected Poems of Robert Service The Ballad of the Northern Lights Some say that the Northern Lights are the glare of the Arctic ice and snow; And some that it’s electricity, and nobody seems to know. Collected Poems of Robert Service The Ballad of the Northern Lights AURORA BOREALIS 41 Taylor, Bayard The amber midnight smiles in dreams of dawn. ” she asked.
Superforce Chapter 1 (p. 18) Eddington, Sir Arthur The atom is as porous as the solar system. The Nature of the Physical World Chapter I (p. 1) The physical atom is, like everything else in physics, a schedule of pointer readings. The Nature of the Physical World Chapter XII (p. 259) Esar, Evan [Atom] The smallest thing in the world which, when split or fused, becomes the biggest thing. Esar’s Comic Dictionary Atom Feynman, Richard P. I, a universe of atoms, an atom of the universe. What Do You Care What Other People Think?
Astronomically Speaking: A Dictionary of Quotations on Astronomy and Physics by C. C. Gaither, Alma E. Cavazos-Gaither